Thursday, February 2, 2012

Trying to understand Healing through Tears

Some times the timing of things or the shock value makes it impossible to see beyond the pain and we cannot fathom why God picked this thing or this timing.
Today is my best feeling day so far this week.  I know that it will probably be short lived and this week will end, like it or not.

But what I ponder today is not about myself.  It is about a friend I had at our previous church.  She lost her husband yesterday and I am just dumbfounded.  Like so many losses that have hit close to home lately another soul has been called home by the Lord.  Yet those who were close to him are left feeling numb and you hear the shock in the posts of our mutual friends.  You wonder how in the world God could see it to serve his good purpose to take the father of a 12 year old boy, the husband of a wonderful woman..., and I don't even know the extent of all those effected.  He was a police officer...I can only imagine the lives he touched.  And I know from times of personal loss that there is a time period when comfort only gets skin deep.  What is there to say...What is there to do...I guess the best thing to remember for friends and family is to be there when the numbness wears off.  When things start to fade for you they are just hitting and really sinking in for the ones closest to the loss.  Your ready to move on and they are only getting started at dealing with it.

This is one of those times when faith is tested, belief is challenged, and God is closest if we let Him in.  He is to be first in all relationships and sometimes we do not understand that fully until we are standing alone in something.  I cannot even fathom that challenge when it means the loss of your spouse. I will not dishonor those who have lost theirs by saying I can even understand.  I know what it is to lose a child, a grandparent, other extended relatives, and friends.  But to lose half of ones self when you were joined together by God is a hole only God could fill.  So I will simply pray and petition God to be ever present in her and her son's life.  That he will envelope them with love through those closest to them and their church family. And I will remember to be thankful for every day I still share with my husband.  Remember what a gift it is to have yours there today.  Here is a couple verses.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.  For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.


Psalm 68:5
 A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, 
   is God in his holy dwelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment